For a moment last night something unprecedented, unheard of, indeed almost unbelievable happened while Barack Obama was giving one of his televised, teleprompter specials: his audience actually heard the truth.
Of course they didn't hear it from Obama. "A republican House member shouted, "You lie" during [alleged] President Obama's health care speech to Congress on Wednesday." As we sadly would expect from the gutless gaggle of Obama lickspittles that dominates Congress at the moment, "members of both parties condemned the heckling." Thanks I'm sure to this pressure "After the speech, South Carolina Rep. Joe Wilson issued a statement apologizing for his outburst."
Poor Mr. Wilson! He dared to say what is on the hearts of a growing majority of Americans sick to death of the boldfaced prevarication now worshiped and glamorized as masterful oratory. He violated two of the unwritten rules of order that now govern the sick bipartisan dictatorship that presently masquerades as the U.S. Congress. He spoke the truth. He dared to represent the views and convictions of his constituents. I'm sure that millions of informed voters felt a lately unaccustomed surge of respect and gratitude for that singular voice speaking with laconic eloquence the very words they were repeatedly shouting at their television screens.
I will admit it. Such viewers are hardier souls than I. I know that actually listening to so many lies, spoken with the arrogant self-assurance of a master, is more degradation than my free citizen heart can bear. I know that, like Joe Wilson, I would "let my emotions get the best of me." But years of academic discipline have accustomed me to read all kinds of groundless stuff and nonsense on the printed page without prejudicial emotion. So I wait to read such speeches in print. (By the way, those who know me at all well know that, with the exception of the speeches like the one G.W. Bush gave in the wake of 9/11, I generally took the same precaution with every speech Bill Clinton or either of the Bushes gave when they were in office. God knows, I haven't risked listening to a speech by the sitting occupant of the White House since Ronald Reagan left office.)
So I admire the informed viewers who suffered through the faux decorum of last night's oppressive caricature of the solemn moments for which such joint sessions of Congress were once reserved. Obviously, Obama's speech didn't bring to mind FDR's stern request for a declaration of war against the Japanese empire. No, it was a painstakingly assembled repetition of the oft refuted lies and false promises Obama has relied upon to promote his faction's proposed government takeover of the health sector- a scheme that is itself an assault on truth, conscience and the survival of American liberty.
Though I understand the pressure that led Joe Wilson to repent of his clarion moment of truth, it disappointed me, as I'm sure it disappointed voters in his district who had just about decided to make him an exception to the "throw da bums out" tidal wave rising to sweep aside this forgettable Congress of socialist toadies and tut-tutting fellow travelers in 2010. Where are the sturdy tribunes of the people who had the courage to speak the truth and let the votes fall where they may? Where are the frontier spirits that would brave the lions of Washington corruption, relying on their faith in the decent voters who elected them to defy its pressures? I guess they've all moved to the DC suburbs and forgotten their way home.
Rather than accept the pretense that civility and politeness require that we patiently suffer the arrogant lies of would be tyrants bent on finalizing the destruction of our sovereignty, I think it's long past time for Americans who understand and love their liberty to remind them of the first rule of civility when addressing the sovereign body of the people- Don't throw proven lies in our face and expect us to grovel and applaud. You address the Congress of the United States, not the servile bipartisan Congress of some Communist People's Republic. Not yet, anyway. And not ever- not once we get the chance to trump your false promise of socialist utopia with this true promise we now make solemnly to ourselves and for our liberty- We promise to send a legion of Joe Wilsons to Congress in 2010, who will speak the truth and make you apologize for trying to enslave us with your lies.


0 comments:
Post a Comment